Master Your Task List: How busy people get more done with the Eisenhower Matrix and Briefmatic
The Eisenhower Matrix, also known as the Urgent-Important Matrix, is a valuable tool for task management and prioritisation. It works great by itself but it's even more powerful when combined with a superb task management app like Briefmatic.
When combined, the Eisenhower Matrix and Briefmatic can save time and increase productivity by improving prioritisation and decision making, streamlining task management and providing a centralised view.
So, if you’re keen to start smashing more of your tasks everyday then check out these tips on how to combine the power of the Briefmatic Kanban board with the simplicity of Eisenhower Matrix for optimal results.
- Understand the Eisenhower matrix
The Eisenhower matrix helps you categorise your tasks based on their urgency and importance, allowing you to allocate your time and effort more effectively. It consists of four quadrants formed by dividing a two-dimensional grid into four sections as shown in the image below.
- Understand Briefmatic
Briefmatic is a kanban board and task management app. It simplifies task management by connecting various collaboration apps and consolidating tasks onto a single Kanban board. With outstanding features like automated task tracking and real-time updates it helps its users supercharge their efficiency and get more done.
By capturing all your tasks from all your apps all on a single kanban board users finally get a complete picture of everything they need to focus on making visualisation and prioritisation a breeze.
- Identify your tasks
Make a list of all the tasks you need to accomplish. The easiest way to do this is to sign up to a kanban board and task management app like Briefmatic. Connect Briefmatic to your keep collaboration apps like Google Drive, Slack, Gmail and Google Tasks.
Once you have all your tasks on a single Kanban board you can customise the swim lanes to align with the Eisenhower matrix i.e. create five swimlanes labelled Backlog, Delegated, Scheduled, Do, and Done.
- Review your task list in Briefmatic and assess importance
Evaluate the importance of each task. Important tasks contribute to your long-term goals, values, or priorities, while unimportant tasks have minimal impact or can be eliminated without significant consequences.
- Determine urgency of each task on your Briefmatic Kanban board
Determine the urgency of each task. Urgent tasks require immediate attention or have imminent deadlines, while non-urgent tasks can be done later without immediate consequences.
- Categorise all the tasks on your Briefmatic Kanban board
Place each task into one of the four quadrants based on its importance and urgency:
- Quadrant 1: Important and Urgent tasks are top priority. Do them first to avoid negative consequences. Make sure they are all in the Do swimlane.
- Quadrant 2: Important but Not Urgent tasks should be scheduled and given appropriate time and attention to prevent them from becoming urgent later. Make sure you have scheduled the work, then move to the Scheduled swimlane.
- Quadrant 3: Not Important but Urgent tasks can be delegated to others if possible, freeing up your time for more important tasks. Move these tasks to the Delegated swimlane once you’ve delegated the task to a team member. Leaving the task in the Delegated swimlane will help you remember to follow up.
- Quadrant 4: Not Important and Not Urgent tasks should be eliminated left in the backlog swimlane on the Kanban board until their priority changes or you have dismissed them.
As each task is completed, move it to the Done swimlane on your Kanban board in Briefmatic.
- Take action
Start smashing your tasks. Start with those in the Do swimlane and complete them promptly. Review the Backlog every time you complete an item to review and assess any new items that have come on to the board.
Remember to complete the scheduled items at the appropriate time and follow up with team members on delegated items. Repeat this process constantly throughout the day and you’ll be amazed at how many important tasks you can complete.
By combining the Briefmatic Kanban board with the Eisenhower Matrix, you can prioritise effectively, make better decisions about task allocation, and start smashing more of the tasks that actually matter.
If you would like to master your task list and get more done in your day then check out Briefmatic and start applying the Eisenhower matrix to your outstanding tasks today.